1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL
Following the outbreak of the first word war in 1914 Europe’s car industry was decimated. In Germany both Daimler and Benz went back to producing cars post war, however, times were tough. A merger between Daimler and Benz would ensure that both companies survived and following a technical co-operation agreement in 1924 the companies formally merged on the 1st July 1926. Mercedes Benz was born!
Subsequently Mercedes Benz went on to build some of the greatest cars of all time. The cars from Stuttgart bearing the three pointed star all had one thing in common . . . they were renowned for their technical innovation, build quality, luxury and performance.
In the 1950’s Mercedes Benz produced one of the greatest cars of all time – the iconic 300SL Gullwing and 300SL Roadster. Whilst fabulous cars, they were very expensive and generally sold to the rich and famous. Mercedes wanted to build a sporting luxury car that still looked classical in the mould of the 300SL, but it had to be affordable and the plan was to build such a car in far greater numbers than the exclusive 300SL’s. Enter the Type W121 or 190SL as it became known in the mid 1950’s. This model was an outstanding success and circa 25,000 cars were built over the next 8 years of production. The formula worked and Mercedes Benz carried it on with great success in the 1960’s with the Type W112 230SL/250SL/280SL models. This evolved into the Type R107/C107 280SL(C)/350SL(C)/380SL(C)/450SL(C) models built throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s.
In recent years the demand for these cars has skyrocketed, though the later cars have remained relatively affordable compared to the Type W112 models and present an excellent buying opportunity in today’s market.
Oldtimer Australia is delighted to confirm the sale of this 1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL.
- – an Australian delivered (Diesel Motors, Perth, WA), factory RHD example.
- – ordered new by Alan and Eileen Bond.
- – matching numbers car as confirmed by the factory data card.
- – a very original and unmolested ‘time capsule’.
- – fabulous original colour scheme of black with a grey interior.
- – hard top / soft top and hard top stand.
- – full books including the original fully stamped service book showing impeccable service history.
- – documented mileage of 157,174 km.
- – a beautifully presented car in fabulous original condition.
- Mercedes Benz 380SL
- 157174 km
- 3818 cc