1973 De Tomaso Pantera ***Italian Styling, American V8***


Details

Oldtimer Australia is delighted to offer for sale a 1972 De Tomaso Pantera.

There is a Marti Report on file which confirms this car was built in November 1972. It was serialised and released in October 1973, then eventually sold to the first owner in February 1974. The car was sold through Waller Motors Inc. from Jenkintown, Pennsylvania, a small town approximately 10 miles north of Philadelphia.  There is still a Pennsylvania registration sticker on the front windscreen that states “This sticker void after Jan 31, 1977”.

The Marti Report also confirms the car was delivered new in red with the following options; air conditioning, magnesium sports wheels, 351-4V Cleveland V8 engine, ZF five speed manual transmission, 4-wheel power disk brakes, power windows, tinted glass and full instrumentation.

The production statistics noted on all Marti Reports are always fascinating. On this report it notes: “De Tomaso produced 1,258 model year 73 Panteras of which 178 were painted in this colour and 39 Panteras were ordered for buyers in the Philadelphia area”.

This car is incredibly original and it retains its original American compliance plate (which is dated 1/73) in the driver’s door jamb, its original ID plate (which has the engine number stamped on it) and body service number tag (both under the front bonnet), the chassis number plate on the top of the dash and even the engine number tag (used for ordering parts) in the engine bay.

The engine number stamped on the ID plate matches that stamped on the engine number tag and what is stamped on the block, confirming this to be a ‘matching numbers’ car.

The car found its way to Europe in 1977 and there is a copy of its Dutch registration on file. This shows that it was first registered in the Netherlands on 24th November 1977 with the registration 52-TR-44. Its Dutch history is not known, other than there is a document on file with a change of particulars dated 2nd November 1989 on file. The name on that document is Mr A.H.P Oostveen, who lived in Brasschaat, Belgium at the time. The current owner acquired the car in 1999 from a dealer who was selling the car on behalf of Mr Oostveen and subsequently imported it into Australia. There is an import approval on file for the car dated 15th December 1999.

The current owner recalls picking up the car from a private garage in central Amsterdam and driving it along the canals and then south to Rotterdam to have it shipped to Australia. He was told that Mr Oostveen was the second owner of the car, making this De Tomaso Pantera a three owner car.

The car arrived into Australia in early 2000, joining an extensive and eclectic collection. It was essentially kept as part of a static collection and never registered or driven in anger on the roads in Australia.

This car is somewhat of a time capsule. The odometer currently reads 31,888 miles and it is understood to be genuine.

Today this De Tomaso Pantera presents very well, for an essentially original car. The paint on the car is in good condition, though there is evidence that it has had a ‘blow over’ at some stage. It is not known when exactly that was done but it was done prior to the current owner acquiring the car. The underside of the car has been painted with Tectyl, which is a rust preventer. This has been sprayed literally everywhere! There is a Dutch Tectyl sticker on the left rear quarter glass, which confirms this was done during the time the car spent in the Netherlands.

The panel gaps are generally very good, though as you will see from the photos the right hand side headlight pod needs to be adjusted.

The glass appears to be all original. Every window has the correct Sicursiv Climaglass etching. The presentation of the external trim is consistent with the paint work. It is generally in good condition for a car of this age. The chrome is presentable, the lights and lenses are clear with no cracks and the rubber bumpers are presentable. There are two small holes in the front bumper, most likely from where a number plate was fitted at some stage.

The trademark De Tomaso Campagnolo wheels are the correct type and present pretty well.  They are shod with Goodyear NCT VR60 tyres, size 235/60 VR15 at the rear and 205/60 VR15 at the front. The tyres are old and will need to be replaced.

The interior is most likely original and it still presents really well. The seats are firm and still provide ample support. The bottom section of the driver’s seat is showing some wear on the right side, most likely from the seat belt. There is also a small tear on the bottom section of the passenger seat and a small tear in the underside of the arm rest on the passenger door.  The door cards are similarly well presented. The same can be said for the carpets, which are are clean and in good condition. The dashboard and centre console are in excellent condition and present with no cracks. All the instruments are clean and present well. The switches appear to be original and the symbols on them are clear. The car is fitted with a period correct Blaupunkt radio.

Under the front bonnet everything looks to be original and correct, though the compartment could do with a tidy up. The space saver spare wheel, which has never been used, is present as well as what looks to be the original Ford tyre inflator canister, a jack kit and tool roll.

Under the rear lid the engine bay cover is present, though the lining is starting to disintegrate in places. Once you remove the cover, you see the stonking 351 cubic inch Ford Cleveland V8 engine. The engine itself could do with a clean.

This car has not been driven on the road since it was imported into Australia and it will require recommissioning. The engine turns over easily and should be relatively straight forward to recommission.

Accompanying the car is an owner’s manual, an Australian import approval, a copy of the Dutch registration, an original spare wheel, a jack, an original Ford tyre inflator canister and a tool roll, though most of the tools are missing.

We envisage that this car can be reasonably easily recommissioned, then used and enjoyed as a very original car.

Price $169,950

 

Background

Born on 10th July 1928 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, Alejandro De Tomaso grew up among a family known to be quite politically influential and very wealthy.

From an early age racing and race cars had been a real passion for De Tomaso. In 1945 he drove his first race in a modified Bugatti Type 35. In 1954 he was offered the opportunity to race for Maserati in the 1,000 km race of Buenos Aires and returned to win that race in 1955 a Maserati A6GCS.

That same year De Tomaso moved to Italy and started working for OSCA in Bologna as a test driver. In the meantime, he kept racing. In 1957 he won the 1,500cc class at the Buenos Aires 1,000 km race driving a new OSCA. In 1958 he drove an OSCA with a 750cc engine at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and finished a very credible 11th overall, averaging over 140km/h.

In 1958 De Tomaso built his first car. It featured the 750cc OSCA engine mounted in front of the rear axle, quite an unusual design for that time. Unfortunately, the car never raced as the Maserati bothers, who owned OSCA, forbid him to use the engine.

In 1959 De Tomaso moved to Modena and built his second car, an F2 race car, again which an OSCA engine which this time he was allowed to use. The car made its debut at Sebring in 1959. The car was called Isis after his wife. Unfortunately, mechanical issues forced the car to retire from the race. After many more adventures and attempts to produce various race cars, De Tomaso introduced their first production car in 1965, a two seater coupe named Vallelunga. The car remained in production until 1967 and 59 examples were built including the prototype.

In 1966 De Tomaso opened a new factory which allowed him to follow his dreams and expand production of his cars. In 1967 the De Tomaso Mangusta was introduced. The stunning Mangusta, which was penned by Giorgetto Giugiaro whilst working for Ghia, remained in production through until 1971 and 401 examples were produced. In 1967 De Tomaso acquired Carrozzeria Ghia and 1969 he acquired Carrozzeria Vignale. These acquisitions were not financially successful, however, they did provide an introduction to Henry Ford II, which ultimately had a big impact on his future.

The Ford Motor Company subsequently took a controlling stake in De Tomaso as well as Ghia and Vignale.

This relationship led to one of the world’s most iconic sports cars being developed – the legendary De Tomaso Pantera.  Designed by Carrozzeria Ghia’s American born Tom Tjaarda, the Pantera was built with the American market in mind. De Tomaso had the rights to sell the Pantera, except in North America, where Ford sold the car through their Lincoln-Mercury dealers. The Pantera was a huge success, with more than 7,000 cars built before production ceased in 1992.

Models included the standard Pantera, Pantera L (for the US market), Pantera GTS, Pantera GT5, Pantera GT5S and Pantera 90 Si.


Specification

  • $169,950
  • De Tomaso Pantera
  • 1973
  • Coupe
  • Manual
  • 31,888 miles
  • 5,763cc

Enquire about this car