1971 McLaren M8E
COMING SOON to Oldtimer Australia is this 1971 McLaren M8E
- Purchased new by Roy Woods to compete in the 1971 Can-Am Series.
- Raced with some success finishing 3rd in Round 6 and 4th in Round 7, but damaged in Round 9 of the 1971 Can-Am series and subsequently rebuilt.
- Known and documented history passing through a number of owners until restored from 1987 – 1995.
- Invited to appear at the 2006 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance.
- Australian import approval on file dated 28 June 2011.
- CAMS historic log book and COD issued 28th February 2012.
- Campaigned at historic motorsports events in Australia 2012 – 2016.
- Taken to The Monterey PreReunion and The Rolex Monterey Motorsport Reunion at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, California, USA in August 2016.
- Sold to the current owner in May 2019.
- Car validated by Barry Lock, who worked for McLaren from 1967 to 1974 and again briefly in 1975. Barry’s Survey Report issued in October 2019 is on file.
There are some fabulous videos of the car online. See:
McLaren dominated Can-Am racing in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s and these cars are simply ‘monsters of the track’!
A car of this calibre is seldom offered for sale in Australia. A unique opportunity.
More information and a full suite of photos to follow soon.
Preliminary enquiries welcome
- McLaren M8E
- Race Car