1969 MGB MkII (with O/D)
MG is one of the world’s most iconic motoring brands. Founded in 1924 by Cecil Kimber, MG (which are the initials for Morris Garages) produced some fabulous cars pre-war and enjoyed much success in motoring racing. A milestone for the company occurred in 1933 when an MG Magnette K3 became the first non-Italian car to win its class at the Mile Miglia.
Today when someone mentions MG you immediately think of ‘the affordable, everyman’s sports car’, and particularly the MGB. It was, however, post-World War II that MG really brought the sports car to the people with the MG TC. The MG TA (built from 1936 – 1939) and MG TB (built from 1939 – 1940) were well regarded sports cars, but sold only in relatively small numbers. Introduced in 1945 the MG TC was in fact a very similar car to the MG TB, both visually and also mechanically sharing the same 1250 cc engine but with a slightly higher compression ratio. Although only built as right hand drive, America fell in love with the MG TC and many cars were sold to American serviceman serving in the UK and Europe at the end of the war. In fact everyone loved the TC and cars were sold to all points of the globe! Over six years of production MG sold 10,000 MG TC’s.
The MG TC was succeeded by the MG TD in 1950 and circa 30,000 cars were built before being replaced by the MG TF in 1953. Just under 10,000 TF’s were built of which one third had the 1500 cc engine. The T Series MG’s were replaced by the MGA in 1955.
The MGA was introduced to compete with the new and very fresh Austin Healey. This model was a completely new design which proved to be another great success story for BMC. In total just over 100,000 MGA’s were built from 1955 through until 1962. When introduced the MGA was powered by a 1489cc four cylinder engine and the first MGA’s were often referred to as MGA 1500. The MGA power plant went through a number of improvements through the model’s life, including an increase to 1588cc in 1959 (MGA 1600) and then to 1622cc in 1961 (MGA Mark II). MG also introduced a high performance version of the MGA, the MGA Twin Cam in 1958.
The MGA was replaced by the MGB in 1962. The MGB was a totally new car and it featured a unitary structure rather than the traditional body on frame construction used by the MGA and T series cars. MG initially planned to use a 2 litre V4 engine, however, the high development cost meant that plan was quickly abandoned. MG further developed the engine which had powered the MG ZA since 1953 and the MGA 1600 since 1959. The biggest change was an increase in capacity to 1798cc.
BMC got the formula right and the MGB was an outstanding success with in excess of 500,000 cars built through 18 years of production. MG built 386,961 roadsters and 125,282 GT’s. The majority of the MGB’s were powered by a 1,798cc 4 cylinder engine, however, in 1973 MG offered the MGB GT with Rover’s 3.5 litre V8 engine.
BMC Australia built the MGB between 1963 and 1972 from CKD (complete knocked down) kits imported from England. This was done to avoid the duties and tariffs on imports imposed by the Australian Government to protect the domestic car industry. From 4th April 1963 till 6th November 1972 MGB’s were assembled at the BMC plant at Zetland in NSW. When these CKD kits arrived in Australia they were not painted, had no trim and no hoods. All these items were sourced locally. It is understood about 9000 MGB’s were assembled in Australia.
Oldtimer Australia is delighted to offer for sale a 1969 MGB MkII.
This car is confirmed as an ‘export delivery’, factory right hand drive example. Finished in primrose yellow with a black interior this car has a soft top, tonneau cover and is fitted with overdrive.
More information and photos to follow soon.
As always, preliminary enquiries welcome.
- MGB MkII
- 31,251 miles