1966 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 Series 2
Apple, Coco-Cola, McDonalds and Nike are brands recognisable the world over. So is Ferrari and interestingly the iconic Italian luxury sports car manufacturer was named ‘The World’s Strongest Brand’ in the 2019 Brand Finance Global 500 Report.
Founded by Enzo Ferrari in 1939 out of Alfa Romeo’s race division as Auto Avio Costruzioni the company built its first car in 1940. The Second World War halted Ferrari’s dream, which was finally realised in 1947, when the first car bearing his name, the Ferrari125S, was built. From that day on Ferrari race cars dominated the world over, winning race after race and many world championships in Formula One, sports car racing and endurance racing. Ferrari built exclusive sports cars for the road too, but in the early days, this was primarily to fund his motor racing!
The Cavallino Rampate or ‘prancing horse’ was the symbol chosen by Ferrari and like the ‘golden arches’ it is recognised by just about every man, woman and child on the planet!
The Ferrari road cars built in the 1940’s and early to mid-1950’s were built in very small numbers and it was not until the introduction of the 250 series cars that production numbers increased. Almost 1,000 Ferrari 250 GTE’s were built from 1959 – 1963. The 250 Series also contained some of the most special Ferraris ever built, including the Ferrari 250LM, 250 SWB, 250 California Spider and of course the 250 GTO. The 250 Series cars were superseded by the 275 Series cars, the 330 series cars and later the 365 series cars. The nomenclature designated the cubic capacity of each cylinder. So a Ferrari 330 was powered by a 12 cylinder engine of 3967 cc capacity.
The Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 was introduced in early 1964 as a successor to the 250 GTE. The 330 was a totally new design and one of its most distinguishing features was its sharper nose with quad headlights. The car’s wheelbase was 50mm longer than its predecessor and it had an improved braking system and suspension. The 330’s engine was of 4.0 litre capacity generating a claimed 300hp. This was a significant improvement of the 250 GTE’s 3.0 litre engine which generated a claimed 240hp.
Being able to seat four in relative comfort and yet providing the performance, handling and looks expected of a Ferrari, the 330 GT 2+2 was a very successful car in period with circa 1,000 cars built from 1964 – 1967. Ferrari built 503 Series 1 cars, easily identified by the dual headlights, of which 50 were right hand drive and 460 Series 2 cars, of which only 36 were right hand drive.
Oldtimer Australia is delighted to offer for sale a 1965 Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 Series 2. This is a UK delivered, factory right hand drive example that was originally finished in ‘blu sera’ with a blue interior, which is the colour scheme of the car today.
This ‘matching numbers’ car has spent the majority of its life in Australia, being imported here in c1972.
This Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 carries an older repaint that still presents exceptionally well. The interior looks to be totally original and shows patina consistent with its age.
Purchased by the current owner in 1997, this is a very well-known car in Ferrari Club circles in Australia. It has a known ownership from new including a number of long term owners who were respected and very active members of the Ferrari community.
The odometer reads 99,956 miles.
More information to follow shortly.
Price: AUD $475,000
- Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 Series 2
- 99,956 miles