1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III BJ8
Oldtimer Australia is delighted to confirm the private sale of this lovely 1965 Austin-Healey 3000 Mk III BJ8.
The Heritage Certificate on file confirms the date of build to be between 25th and the 28th June 1965 with a date of despatch of the 8th July 1965. The car’s original colour scheme was ‘Healey Blue’ with blue (Ambla) trim and a blue soft top. Like most Healeys, this was a left hand drive, North American export car. The destination (dealer) was in Chigao, USA. The Heritage Certificate also notes the following factory fitted options: wire wheels, overdrive, heater, adjustable steering column, laminated windscreen, whitewall tyres and a blue tonneau cover.
This car was restored in the USA, later converted to right hand drive and imported into Australia back in 2014.
This fabulous late model BJ8 Healey is off to its excited new owner.
Donald Healey is an icon of the British motor industry. He was born in Perranporth, Cornwall, in the south west of England on the 3rd July 1898. He studied engineering and had a passion for all things mechanical, including aeroplanes and motor vehicles. In 1945 he founded the Donald Healey Motor Company and its mission was to build excellent quality performance cars. In 1946 the company introduced the Healey Westland Roadster and the Healey Elliott Saloon, both built through until 1950. Other subsequent models included the Healey Sportsmobile (1948-1950), Healey Silverstone (1949-1950), Healey Tickford Saloon (1950-1954), Healey Abbott Drophead Coupe (1950-1954) and Healey G-Type Roadster (1951-1953). The most successful car built in this era was the Nash Healey of which just over 500 examples were built from 1950 – 1954. Healey’s cars were good and they enjoyed much success in competition, including class wins in the 1947 and 1948 Alpine rallies as well as the 1949 Mille Miglia. They were also expensive and business was tough going.
The Donald Healey Motor Company struggled and Healey decided that he needed to build a cheaper sports car in far greater numbers to be successful. In 1952 Austin-Healey was formed through a joint venture between the Austin division of the British Motor Corporation (BMC) and the Donald Healey Motor Company (Healey). As they say ‘the rest is history’ and Austin-Healey went on to become one of the world’s most successful sports car manufacturers.
The first Austin-Healey was the Austin-Healey 100 introduced in 1953. These were true sports cars in every sense of the word, an open two seater with minimal weather protection. They were powered by a 2,660cc 4 cylinder engine generating around 90 bhp, enough to propel the car to a top speed of 100 mph, hence, the designation Austin Healey ‘100’. The first series cars were designated BN1 and in 1955 the second series or BN2 was introduced. The BN2 had a four speed manual gearbox (compared to a three speed in the BN1), with overdrive on the top two gears. The BN2 has slightly larger front wheel arches and a different rear axle. Interestingly, the BN2 was the first Austin-Healey to offer optional two-tone paint.
In 1955 Austin-Healey introduced the 100S, which was built for the race track. Featuring light aluminium body work, engine improvements that delivered 135 bhp, a strengthened chassis, disc brakes on all four wheels, suspension upgrades and no bumpers (to keep weight at a minimum) the Austin-Healey 100S was a great success. Only 50 cars were ever built and they are today amongst the world’s most desirable and collectable cars. Hot on the heels of 100S, Austin-Healey introduced the 100M, a high-performance road going model that with engine modifications increased power from 90 bhp to 110 bhp. In total 640 Austin-Healey 100Ms were built in 1955/56.
In 1956 Austin-Healey introduced the 100/6 that featured a more powerful 6-cylinder engine and provided occasional rear seats in a 2+2 configuration. These cars were designated as BN4 Healeys. A two-seater roadster version, the BN6, was introduced in 1958. In 1959 the last of the ‘big Healeys’, the Austin-Healey 3000 was introduced. The 3000 was powered by a 2,912 cc 6-cylinder engine and introduced front disc brakes to the model range. These Healeys were available as a roadster or as a 2+2. The MkI roadster was designated as BN7 and the MkI 2+2 was designated as BT7. The MkII Austin Healey 3000’s were introduced in 1961 (available as a roadster – BN7 and 2+2 – BT7). In 1962 the BJ7 was introduced which was another big step change for the model. This car was more sophisticated and targeted the expanding American market. It featured a wraparound front windscreen, wind up windows and other creature comforts. In 1964 the final iteration of the Austin-Healey 3000 was introduced, being the MKIII BJ8.
In excess of 70,000 Austin-Healeys were built from 1953 through until 1967 and a large percentage of these cars were left hand drive and sold into North America.
- Austin-Healey 3000 MK III BJ8
- 41,436 miles