1936 Mercedes Benz 540K Cabriolet B
During the 1930’s Mercedes Benz built some of the greatest cars ever made. Their supercharged 500K and 540K models were at the pinnacle of design with stunning coachwork, opulent luxury and exceptional performance.
Oldtimer Australia is delighted to offer for sale this 1936 Mercedes Benz 540K Cabriolet B.
– the car was delivered by Mercedes Benz Munich and first used by Dr Ernst Heinkel the German aircraft designer and manufacturer.
– the car found its way to the USA at some stage and the Mercedes Benz commission book notes Michael Pikora of Mercedes Benz Hollywood USA as the car’s owner on the 12th September 1974.
– there is a photograph in the book – Mercedes Benz The Supercharged 8 Cylinder Cars of the 1930’s courtesy of Don Williams and it is understood that the car was at the Blackhawk Collection in Danville, California, USA during the 1980’s.
– the car then found its way to the UK and it was acquired by an Australian collector who subsequently imported the car into Australia in 1989.
– on import the owner falsified this car’s value and had it confiscated by the Australian Customs.
– the car was then sold at public auction some five years later in 1994.
– It was acquired by its current owner who completed a full restoration on the car. During the restoration front and rear flag mounts were found and there was evidence of blue/grey paint on the car suggesting that the car saw military service.
– the car has been regularly shown and used at rally’s by its current owner.
– whilst an older restoration the car still presents and drives beautifully.
A significant history file with extensive documentation, including a copy of the original Mercedes Benz Commission Book entry will accompany the car.
The car is left hand drive.
- Mercedes Benz 540K
- 9665 miles