1982 Mercedes Benz 380SL
Following the outbreak of the first word war in 1914 Europe’s car industry was decimated. In Germany both Daimler and Benz went back to producing cars post war, however, times were tough. A merger between Daimler and Benz would ensure that both companies survived and following a technical co-operation agreement in 1924 the companies formally merged on the 1st July 1926. Mercedes Benz was born!
Subsequently Mercedes Benz went on to build some of the greatest cars of all time. The cars from Stuttgart bearing the three pointed star all had one thing in common . . . they were renowned for their technical innovation, build quality, luxury and performance.
In the 1950’s Mercedes Benz produced one of the greatest cars of all time – the iconic 300SL Gullwing and 300SL Roadster. Whilst fabulous cars, they were very expensive and generally sold to the rich and famous. Mercedes wanted to build a sporting luxury car that still looked classical in the mould of the 300SL, but it had to be affordable and the plan was to build such a car in far greater numbers than the exclusive 300SL’s. Enter the Type W121 or 190SL as it became known in the mid 1950’s. This model was an outstanding success and circa 25,000 cars were built over the next 8 years of production. The formula worked and Mercedes Benz carried it on with great success in the 1960’s with the Type W112 230SL/250SL/280SL models. This evolved into the Type R107/C107 280SL(C)/350SL(C)/380SL(C)/450SL(C) models built throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s.
In recent years the demand for these cars has skyrocketed, though the later cars have remained relatively affordable compared to the Type W112 models and present an excellent buying opportunity in today’s market.
Oldtimer Australia is delighted to offer a 1982 Mercedes Benz 380SL.
– Australian delivered (York Motors – Sydney), factory RHD example.
– matching numbers car as confirmed by the factory data card.
– a totally original and unmolested ‘time capsule’.
– hard top / soft top.
– hard top stand.
– fabulous original colour scheme of red with a black interior.
– full books including the original tags for the cruise control and stereo. They are all MINT.
– fully stamped service book showing impeccable service history.
– documented mileage of 169,188 km.
– one owner car for the majority of its life. The first owner lived in Sydney and moved to the Sunshine Coast circa 2005. The car was recently sold to the neighbour as the owner needed some funds for a business venture.
– the paint has a high gloss and is exceptional for a 35 year ‘young’ car! It is extensively original with the odd paint touch up evident and perhaps the boot has been repainted. There is the odd blemish or stone chip evident also, but you have to look hard!
– the interior is in excellent condition, consistent with the rest of the car. The upholstery has no rips or tears and is unmarked. The timber is also in excellent condition.
– all of the instruments and controls are in excellent condition and look to be in working order. The A/C blows ice cold air.
– the soft top looks to have been ‘rarely used’, however, it is in average condition. As a result of ‘tucked away’ for many many years the clear window is showing some signs of yellowing and has a small hole in it. There is also the odd imperfection the fabric.
– the car starts easily and drives as good as it looks.
– the car has just been gone through and sorted by a classic Mercedes Benz specialist and all it now needs is a new owner to use it and enjoy it!
– this has to be the best example available in Australia.
Listed price AUD $55,000
- Mercedes Benz 380SL
- 169188 km
- 3818 cc