1967 Peugeot 404 Cabriolet by Pininfarina
Peugeot was a family business established in 1810 manufacturing coffee mills. In 1830 they commenced manufacturing bicycles and then in 1889 they built their first automobile, a three wheeled steam powered car. The Peugeot name is synonymous with innovation and the company was indeed a pioneer in early automobile manufacture.
Over the years Peugeot evolved to become one of the world’s leading automobile manufactures and along with Renault and Citroen were the pillars of the French automotive industry.
In addition to building family cars Peugeot did build a number of very interesting sporting cars, none more so than the 404 Cabriolet. The 404 Series cars were introduced in 1960 and the model was resounding success with almost 3,000,000 cars built in thirty years of production. Peugeot wanted to compete with the likes of Fiat, Lancia and Alfa Romeo and engaged Pininfarina to design a sporting coupe and cabriolet version of the 404. First shown at the 1961 Paris Motor Show these cars were very well received and soon entered production.
It is understood Peugeot never built the 404 Cabriolet in right hand drive and it was left to Peugeot UK to supply right hand drive cars. They converted some ten cars to right hand drive selling them new with a full dealer / factory warranty during the mid to late 1960’s. Unfortunately these cars were quite expensive and adding the cost of the conversion resulted in them being GBP300 more than a Jaguar E-Type in the day!
Oldtimer Australia is delighted to offer a right hand drive Peugeot 404 Cabriolet for sale. This example is one of the ten cars converted to right hand drive by Peugeot UK and according to the UK Peugeot Register there are only three known cars, including this one, that survive.
This car’s very early history is not known, however, it was purchased by a Charles Mooney in the 1970’s or 1980’s in the UK and he brought the car with him to New Zealand when he emigrated there in 1991. The car was sold shortly thereafter in 1992 to Tony Haycock, who is well-known in motoring circles in New Zealand, being a one-time editor and contributor to New Zealand classic car magazine and a keen Peugeot collector. Tony owned the car for some time, covering over 10,000 miles in it. The car then went to the south island of New Zealand where it changed hands twice before returning to Auckland.
The current owner acquired the lovely Peugeot eighteen months ago and he has spent considerable time and money going through and fully sorting the car. Cosmetically and structurally the car was very good, though there was one area of rust repaired in the car. A new soft top with the correct three part rear window was sourced from the UK, the front seats were reupholstered in leather (the rear was vinyl from the factory), the carpet was replaced to the front and over the transmission tunnel in contrasting colour (as originally done). There is new ribbed vinyl floor matting to the rear, the same as the boot. All of the bright work has been re-chromed where necessary (bumper, door handles etc). Auto France in Auckland checked over the mechanicals and the car was found to be in very good order. The starter motor was reconditioned. This example is powered by a 1618 cc four cylinder fuel injected engine mated to a gearbox with a four speed column shift.
Following this refresh the car presents and drives beautifully.
On offer is a unique opportunity and fresh alternative into early sixties European sports motoring. What a great alternative to an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider or Fiat Spider.
This car is located in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Peugeot 404 Cabriolet
- 59615 miles
- 1618 cc